Microsoft Teams vs. Slack
In trying to decide on a platform for me to use for the Produsage: Performance Support (Informal Learning) assignment, I decided what content I wanted to do but was torn on a platform. I wanted to create a space for me and my colleagues to be more virtually collaborative in our remote teaching this coming fall. I needed it to be space that allowed for multiple channels, was user friendly, and allowed for a lot of different mediums to be shared. My office already had a Microsoft Teams account that we don't use that I contemplated using but decided to actually go with Slack because it seemed to better fit my goals. Below are some of the things they have in common and a few differences. Hope this is helpful to some!
Both:
- Collaborative workspaces
- Similar layouts and visual displays
- Both built for team productivity
Microsoft Teams:
- Released in 2017
- Built more to work well with Microsoft Office 365, allows for seamless collaboration in Office 365
- Can video call within the platform
- Not as user-friendly with outside apps
- Made for large work teams (ex: the current commercials show this platform with hospital staffs)
Slack:
- Released in 2009
- Built to work with over 1,000 app plug-ins
- Need to install other apps for video calling (e.g. Zoom)
- User-friendly with a quick set-up
- Easier set-up and administration
What did you mean by "multiple channels" in your goals? I agree Slack is much more user friendly than Microsoft Teams. I have been having a lot of trouble with teams but had to use it as it is part of the admin choice.
ReplyDelete