Midterm Reflections on EME 6414

Hi all! Happy midterm season. In this season, I realized I have spent a lot of time reflecting on my experience in this course verbally with peers, colleagues, and mentors, but have not spent as much time in reflection in writing, like on my blog. It is my natural tendency to reflect and process verbally, which is why I sometimes struggle with online courses as they miss the verbal communication in most spaces. However, in challenging myself to adapt and learn alongside the course mediums, I wanted to synthesize some of my thoughts here.

One element I continue to reflect on with the course itself is the grading philosophy Dr. Dennen uses. This "choose your own adventure" type of method has had me focused a lot more on vulnerable learning and developing rather than working to achieve a desirable grade. I typically am working to ensure I "pass" courses with excellent marks the way I am sure many of my peers can relate to as graduate students, but this method alleviates elements of that stress and lets me refocus that energy to my learning and development. I am also thankful for the honest and in-depth feedback Dr. Dennen provides, investing in our growth and practical implementations of this course material.

Another reflection I have been thinking of is how critical this class is in this moment. It feels like the best semester to be taking this personally because as I continue as an instructor, I have to keep learning tools and methods for engagement for my previously face-to-face courses now turned virtual learning spaces. The tools we are introduced to will not only make my life as an online instructor easier but also more enjoyable and hopefully make for more fruitful learning experiences for future students in my classes.

Finally, on that same page, I love that our class assignments can be useful in my work. In a blog post that will go live today, I will share the link to my knowledge tracking assignment which is actually a tool that I will use in my Fall 2020 teaching course. I love that I am not only able to craft useful tools and platforms for learning, but that this class provides us with the learning on the intentionality of it which is even more enriching and will hopefully make the products of some of our assignments last well beyond Summer A ending.

Cheers to being over half way done! We can do this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Three Tools That Are Here To Stay!

To Blog or Not to Blog? Moving Forward.

Microsoft Teams vs. Slack