Reflections on Social Media Pausing
Hi all,
It has been a few weeks of "pause" on my blogging. I know a pause was needed when I feel energized to return to the space rather than drain or obligation. While I have paused from blogging, I have not stepped away from social media in the last few weeks because social media feels (now more than ever) like a critical space to be as there continues to be news shared, resources provided, support given, and more. What I do want to spend time reflecting on this week is knowing the need for a pause. When the end of 2017 came around, I was ending my first semester in my Master's program and was feeling distracted and homesick.
Upon some reflection, I realized that it was really hard for me to be living 15 hours away from family and loved ones and see their seemingly constant updates on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc. I also realized that I was distracted from my studies and my new life here by feeling the need to always be checking my phone for social media apps. So I decided that starting January 1, 2018, I would delete all social media apps off my phone and restrict access to them on my computer for six weeks. I had done the work to acknowledge a major contributor to how I was feeling but I needed to put some action and intention behind it. While I missed some updates I needed to know in a Facebook group or two, it was the most present I had felt in a long time. I did not look at my phone unless prompted by a text or call. I was more intentional in reaching out to loved ones to ask how they were rather than just liking their status. I did not find myself distracted at work or in class. I did not find myself aching to move back home nearly as often. I did not find myself taking "breaks" from homework, which usually just included checking social media. I was simply present. When having a meal with a friend or coworker, I was fully engaged. At work, I was more productive. At night, I read books that had been on my list for a long time to unwind. This time brought me immense joy.
In Glennon Doyle's newest book, Untamed, she talks about watching her teenage son lose his spark and creativity when he was glued to social media. This pause from social media was like an awakening for me to see how much energy I was giving to something that was not energizing to me. This is the same phase of life that I realized I needed to be more attentive to where and who gets my energy because as you all know, it is not unlimited and academia asks for a lot of it. So my challenge for anyone reading is to take the pause Dr. Dennen charged this past week. While I did not this past week, I will this coming week because reflecting in this post has reminded me how good it was for my soul. Listen to your energy and do what you need to to take care of yourself.
I took a month long break from social media (no access at all) and definitely felt more present as well. I no longer felt the need to video tape what was happening, snap photos of my food, or post pictures of my adventures. I was fully there in the moment and got to experience everything fully. I like your idea of only accessing social media with my computer. I think that would break that habit of pulling out my phone constantly to check different apps. I may have to give that a try.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you like it - I am thinking of also starting to get in the habit of taking at least one day a week where I unplug from social media and see how that goes!
Delete