Tool Review: Goodreads




Ever since I was a child, I have loved reading for fun. I have vivid memories in my childhood home curled up with the American Girl series, Junie B. Jones, and the Boxcar Children. So you can imagine my excitement when I learned there was a social media app catered to avid readers, all about books. I joined Goodreads on April 22, 2013. Here is a breakdown of my profile:

Books Read: 104 
Want to Read: 285
Currently Reading: 10 (I know, I know. Some are course textbooks too)
2020 Reading Challenge: 8/12
Total Books: 399
Friends: 109
Following: 5

One of my favorite elements of Goodreads (and why I continue to sing its praises) is the book reviews on this app are about as honest as they get. As a community of avid readers, you can get an incredible sense of the book you are considering. Book breakdowns have ratings (1-5 stars), reviews (written), descriptions, details, preview, and an option to share on other platforms. You can also see which of your friends has read the book and what they rated/reviewed it as. Finally, you can see other books by the author and other recommended titles. 

Another piece that I noticed after the social media break I wrote about in my last post is that this is the only platform I am active on that is inherently positive. While you can find negative book reviews, they are always constructive and respectful. It has often felt for me like a safe space to engage in virtually. Another element I enjoy which is newer is their yearly challenges. It feels like the adult version of library's summer reading challenges that I did as a child. Even though the app started in 2006 and I did not join until 2013, I have been able to see the app and community grow and improve over the last seven years. Goodreads data is now used widely for book recommendations, recommended reading lists, and more!

One of the features I still want to explore is the groups feature. As someone who lives far from people I used to engage in book clubs with, it could be a wonderful tool to do that virtually. I have not yet joined a group on this platform but am eager to join our course group so I can learn more about the app through this feature! 

Comments

  1. I hadn't used Goodreads until it was a suggested tool in this class but I think it's very useful. I like the point you make about it being pretty positive. It's hard to find a social media platform that isn't full of opposing thoughts and controversy. I love the multitude of reviews on Goodreads and would love to use it to collaborate with friends and get great book suggestions. I think it would be a very useful tool in the classroom as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am also eager to try Goodreads out in classroom spaces! I really do enjoy the platform and think it has a lot of potential!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Three Tools That Are Here To Stay!

To Blog or Not to Blog? Moving Forward.

Microsoft Teams vs. Slack